To break things up a bit, I want to share a few of my more recent pieces.
The first was an incomplete work in progress for over a year before I finally finished it 2 days ago. It initially started as a failed draft for an image I created last year, Keys to Wellness. The issue wasn't that I didn't like it, but rather that the more I worked on it the further it drifted from the intended theme. I had originally planned it to be a few spirals of piano keys forming a treble clef, which just didn't work for me! As I've mentioned before, I don't like to control my creations too much. I just let them go the way they go. They often don't go where I expect them to (often for the best!)
The biggest challenge for me in this piece was choosing the colours. I didn't spend too long stressing over the decision but I was very aware that it could ruin the entire piece - it wouldn't be the first time I've done it. When it comes down to it though, I'd almost always rather experiment and risk a poor outcome than be conservative. The safe option is rarely the fun one, and rewards are often proportional to risk. I think the colours work really well here!
All in all, I'm quite happy with this one. Very glad I didn't try and shoehorn it into an incongruous concept.
The next two are a couple of my first attempts at using Copic markers. They're alright but I think I need to find more appropriate paper to use for them. The markers bleed a lot and take some getting used to, especially when blending colours. Expect to see more in future.
“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.”